Let’s make 2017 a fresh start.
Sometimes it can be hard to make a change and look at things from a different perspective. This is especially true of many marketing and communications plans where the same strategies are employed year in, year out.
Believe it or not, there are new and different things you can do – starting this year – to revitalise your company’s marketing initiatives to boost reputation, rankings and revenue.
A business can change dramatically in just one short year, through operational changes, economic climate and uncertainty as well as staff and client changes. Every one of these factors will have an impact on the way a company operates, so carrying on as usual isn’t really an option.
Being open to starting from scratch is the first step in looking at how to refresh your marketing and communications strategy. Undertake the trusted SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) analysis.
- Review what has worked over the past year and, more importantly, what hasn’t. Retain positive elements of previous campaigns and ditch fruitless efforts.
- Assess how your business is viewed against competitors. Have you researched what they’re doing recently? Keep on top of sector developments and legislation. Commenting on topical issues and sparking discussion through blogs and social media is a good way to do this.
- Review messaging and branding. Any changes to the sector you work in (as well as changes to your business) will alter your key messages and how the business is portrayed. When was the last time your website was redesigned, or even updated? It is good practice to review website design and functionality every two years given how quickly technology changes. Don’t forget to cater to the needs of mobile visitors, as well as those accessing your website from a desktop PC. Research by Ofcom suggests that a third of internet users see their smartphone as their primary device for going online.
- Content rate optimisation (improving the user’s experience on your site) is vital to ensuring visitors find the information they need and take the action you want them to. After all, that’s the primary role of your website, and if it does not function adequately then you’re missing out on potential leads or sales!
- Take a chance and try something new. You may find adding a new element to your marketing and communications plan will help to increase brand awareness and engagement with existing and potential clients provided they are targeted effectively. E-newsletter and e-shots promoting services and products are often a good first step in widening a business’s reach to new audiences and can be developed quickly and efficiently.
If you need assistance with developing a marketing plan, refreshing an existing strategy, or just need some advice then call us today for a no obligation chat – 01233 500 200.